When we’re talking about Japanese cuisine, we simply cannot miss the Okonomiyaki. It originating from Osaka, is sometimes called Japanese pancake, and we can add anything we like into the pancake such as egg,cabbage,carrot etc (sounds good already!). Today, we’ll just demonstrate the most basic type, cabbage Okonomiyaki.
Ingredients (serves 3):
Cabbage, 4 large pieces, shredded
Plain flour, 2C, sift
Cold water, 3C
Salt, to taste
Pepper, to taste
Mayonnaise to taste
Soy sauce paste, 1/2T
Tomato sauce, 1/2T
Sugar, to taste
Starch water (cooking starch mixed with a tiny bit of water)
- Mix the cabbage, flour, water in a large bowl and seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Pour the mixture into a pan then cook at medium heat. (can adjust the shape to make it look better :P).
- While waiting we can start on the sauce. Add all the ingredients for the sauce into a pot and cook at low heat. You can adjust the flavour to your liking.
- When simmering, turn heat off and thicken the paste with a little bit of starch water.
- Check on the mixture, when the base is slightly golden, flip it over (can use a plate to help in this process).
- When both sides are cooked, plate it, then pour the sauce onto it + mayonnaise + shredded seaweed.